Broiled Tomatoes Stuffed with Tuna
A nice start to a meal, or as a light meal!
Created By: StarKist
- 1 pouch (6.4 oz) or 2 pouches (2.6 oz) or 2 cans (5 oz.) StarKist® Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna in Water
- 6 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 5 oz. Crimini mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, chopped finely
- 3 cups French or sourdough breadcrumbs, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded part skim Mozzarella cheese
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Halve each tomato; use a fork to break up the cut surface of each half, pressing down to make a shallow well. Arrange on a baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, heat butter over low heat; add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and cook until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes until just soft.
- In a large bowl, combine tuna, garlic, onion and mushrooms, breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Fill each tomato with a generous ½ cup filling. Drizzle olive oil over filled tomato halves. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until heated through. Place under broiler just until tops are lightly browned and crisp.