Our Natural Resources
StarKist is committed to sustainability. As America’s leading tuna brand, we are actively working to ensure that there is plenty of tuna today…and for generations to come.
StarKist is proud to lead, support and champion the endeavors of several trade and industry organizations that are committed to protecting our seafood resource. These organizations include the National Fisheries Institute (NFI), Tuna Council and the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF). As a founding member of the ISSF, StarKist actively supports its principles by:
- Working with the regional fisheries management organization to achieve their objectives of conservation of tuna stocks and their ecosystems;
- Employing sound science for maximum sustainable yields of targeted tuna stocks;
- Striving to eliminate illegal, unregulated, and unreported tuna catching;
- Providing for the health and care of the marine ecosystem;
- Facilitating use of the precautionary approach;
- Minimizing by-catch, discards, and abandoned gear; and,
- Collecting and exchanging data to promote better scientific understanding of tuna stocks.
As a founding member of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation, StarKist denounces the practice of shark finning, which is the retention of any fins while discarding the carcass at sea. StarKist adheres to a strict policy against shark finning and will only purchase fish from vessel-owning companies that share in our anti-finning principles. All vessel-owning companies that supply StarKist must have a published policy prohibiting shark finning on board its vessels, and strictly adhere to the guidelines set forth. In addition, we do not purchase from any vessel that has been found to have finned for two years following the date of the most recent finding.
StarKist is committed to defending the dolphins. We are proud to be the first company to adopt a dolphin-safe policy in April 1990. We condemn the use of indiscriminate fishing methods that trap dolphins, whales, and other marine life along with the intended catch of fish. All StarKist tuna is labeled with a special “Dolphin-Safe” logo.
Learn more about seafood sustainability at our Sustainability Knowledge Center.